Danish 20 kroner Christian X gold coin
Tavex is pleased to offer the 20 kroner Christian X gold coin, part of Denmark’s most treasured gold coin series. Danish 20 kroner were first struck in 1873 following the establishment of what would become the world’s most successful gold-backed monetary agreement, the Scandinavian Currency Union. The 20 kroner are of great historical importance as they were the foundation of this union that ushered in four decades of prosperity, stability and peace – an epoch embodied in these durable 21.6 karat gold coins. Masterfully crafted by the Royal Danish Mint, the 20 kroner Christian X gold coin is decorated with the rich coat of arms of Denmark and gilded with an effigy of the king himself. It can therefore been seen that the 20 kroner gold coins are priceless heirlooms of Denmark’s history, making perfect gifts or collector’s items.
- 20 kroner form part of Denmark’s most famous gold coinage. Danish gold kroner issued from 1873 to 1914 are associated with a period in Denmark’s history marked by peace, a rise in general prosperity and, most importantly, four decades of stable prices. It is no wonder that 20 kroner are the most sought-after gold coins in Denmark.
- 20 kroner are perfect for coin collections. These coins were at the heart of the Scandinavian Currency Union, an almost perfect monetary system of the time, which makes them a great pick for historical coin collections.
- 20 kroner coins are wonderful gifts. This coin comes in an affordable weight and is embellished with the rich coat of arms of the country, a perfect gift for those who hold Denmark in high esteem
- 20 kroner gold coins are money. They are exempt from Value Added Tax, and as such are exchangeable throughout Europe by bullion dealers and investors alike.
- 20 kroner are the equivalent of savings. Danish 20 gold kroner are an ideal choice for any long-term saver who appreciates the security and stability of owning physical gold coins.
- 20 kroner gold coins are an excellent way to diversify your portfolio. Gold’s low correlation with other financial assets makes sovereign gold coins serve as a portfolio hedge against market risk.
King Christian X depicted on the last version of the 20 kroner gold coin
Born in 1870 at Charlottenlund Palace near Copenhagen, Christian was the eldest son of King Frederik VIII and grandson to King Christian X. Following the death of his father in 1912, he ascended to the throne that same year as Christian X. Consequently, he was the third and last Danish king to be depicted on the 20 kroner gold coin.
King Christian X is probably the best remembered and one of the most beloved Danish monarchs of all time. He became a symbol of opposition to Hitler’s occupation, particularly because he often rode through the streets of Denmark’s capital without the protection of his guards. In contrast to his brother, King Haakon VII of Norway, who went into exile during the Nazi occupation of his country, Christian X remained firm in Denmark throughout this period. His symbolic resistance was seen by many Danes as an act of defiance and bravery, which perhaps understandably fostered mythical stories about him. One story tells that one day a German soldier asked a young boy why the king was riding through the city with no bodyguard. The boy reportedly replied, "All of Denmark is his bodyguard".
The 20 kroner gold coins that carry the effigy of King Christian X were the most issued gold coins during Denmark’s membership of the Scandinavian Currency Union.
|Face value description||Diameter||Fineness||Gold weight in grams||Product weight in grams||Gold weight in Troy ounces||Manufacturer country|
The obverse portrays King Christian X. Around his effigy is the text “CHRISTIAN X KONGE AF DANMARK” which translates as “Christian X King of Denmark”. Under the king’s neckline is a small heart, which is the mark of the Royal Danish Mint, the year of mintage, and the signature of the master engraver “VBP”.
The reverse depicts the coat of arms of Denmark. It is extremely rich in detail and contains different animals on a shield draped with an ermine cape and topped with a crown. The animals are a symbolic representation of individual regions of the kingdom. The coat of arms is half encircled by the year of mintage, the denomination “20 KRONER”, and the privy mark of the mint, and the signature “VBP”.
Each coin is individually packaged in a hard plastic capsule if desired.
Your order is fully insured and delivered by ELS Express. After we have received your payment, the products will be dispatched within 24 hours. Delivery time is within 1 or 2 working days. The ELS courier will contact you via phone. If you wish, you can also personally pick up your order at one of our offices in Tallinn or Tartu the same day we receive your payment. In cases where we are unable to send your order right away, we will always inform you about the time delay.